Friday, November 11, 2011

Loi Krathong

It was a river full of people's apologies to the Goddess of the River and a sky full of people's wishes to the universe. From Wednesday to Friday, Chiang Mai celebrated the Loi Krathong Festival, an annual tradition of Northern Thailand. My friends and I gathered by the Ping River and released lanterns of fire into the sky. It was beautiful and refreshing.

LOI KRATHONG

It was an incredible sight.

In Thai, "Loi" means to float and "Krathong" is what you see in the picture above. A few days before the festival people gather to make their krathongs out of banana leaves, flowers and plants. Instead of teaching a full English lesson on Thursday, my third grade class taught me how to make my own krathong while we sat outside. Here is the one I made!

My friends and I praying to the Goddess of the River. Before placing the krathong in the river, the people pray to the Goddess of the River, thank her for everything she provides and also apologize for treating her poorly. Money is also placed in the krathong. Many children living in poverty go into the river during the festival in search for the money.
My roommate Lookpla before placing her krathong in the river.
Releasing the lanterns represents the releasing of all the bad in one's life, what people want to let go of.


Loi Krathong was a refreshing festival and I am happy that I got to experience it. Despite the nerve-wracking fire crackers all over the place, the festival brought a sense of closure and renewal.

This weekend I am off to Burma.

No comments:

Post a Comment