Sunday, November 27, 2011

Bangkok's Red Light District:

Photo by friend Jenica Baldwin

Even though prostitution in Thailand was made illegal in 1960, sex work in Thailand continues to be a widespread practice, existing often unmasked among the public eye. On an academic excursion, my classmates and I visited Bangkok's red light district. Everything I've been learning in my Economics of the Sex Industry class suddenly came to life. Here, drunk foreign men dominated the streets and beside them- young Asian women with numbers pinned to their exposing outfits. Although prostitution is perceived as a human rights violation by many, there is also the perception that prostitution is a legitimate business with willing workers and economic organization. As I walked along the brightly lit streets of Bangkok though, I could not help but feel that every woman and man I saw in search of their next customer was deserving of a job/occupation that did not objectify their being, risk their health or well-being.


This is the youtube channel for the Thai and Southeast Asian Studies Program. Here you can find videos from our trip to Mae Chaem, the Goldern Triangle and Bangkok/Pattaya: http://www.youtube.com/user/SEAIGS#p/u/0/kyL1374wOzg

No comments:

Post a Comment