Monday, September 19, 2011

A Little Update

Wow! I can't believe it's already been a month! Even though I haven't been unbearably homesick, I've been experiencing some symptoms. I've been thinking of New Paltz often, that sweet place that has been home for the last three years. I miss its creative, musical soul, relaxing nature and even the common sight of hippies walking barefoot on the street.

While I am thankful for a second opportunity to live on campus, Payap University is quite different than the guitar-playing, quad-lounging, politically active and hula-hooping joy that is New Paltz. Payap University is a Christian campus. Residence halls are co-ed but the floors are separated by gender and people of the opposite sex are not allowed in the room. It is also a dry campus which means there is absolutely no alcoholic beverages allowed. After living off-campus for a year, not being allowed to have a glass of wine with a few friends (male and female) in my own living space was a little strange but there is so much to do here that why sit in our rooms and do nothing, right!?


Even though this campus is a little more conservative than my expressive, free-loving, liberal campus at home, like New Paltz, Payap is peaceful and surrounded by natural beauty-huge mountains, palm trees and so much green! There is still a sense of community, happiness and learning here.In the last month, the steps of the International dorm have led to some memorable moments. One night, International students and Thai students spontaneously joined in the front of the residence hall for a late-night session of salsa dancing! It was really fun to watch.


CAMPUS

This is the front of the International House. Something I really like about our residence halls is that there is a lot of open space and opportunities to look outside.

The Sky Blue is our free transportation to the academic buildings...we love the Sky Blue especially on really HUMID or RAINY days.

"Peace Making" fountain in the middle of campus.

How I dry my clothes. Who needs electric dryers!


And finally, what I wake up to every single day. The view outside of my window.




No comments:

Post a Comment