Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Sawadeeka!

The City

At times, I am overwhelmed by Thailand’s beauty, its magic and never-ending smiles. This summer I spent a lot of time at home, on the NYC subway feeling completely disconnected from the people around me. In Thailand, I live in the city of Chiang Mai. Although there are many similarities to nyc- traffic, large population, bars, restaurants, tourists, Chiang Mai is surrounded by mountains of small, tight-knit communities. Modern-day architecture exist here but the presence of temples and historical preservation makes this city a community, a special cultural quality.


The Language

I don’t know much Thai yet but being polite and respectful is often emphasized in my Thai language course. I’ve noticed that social interaction is very different here than in the United States and it all begins with the way people greet each other. Thai people show grace and gratitude in their greetings. In Thailand, people Wai each other, which is a slight bow while joining the palms in a prayer pose toward the person you are greeting. At first I felt very uncomfortable doing it. I felt even more uncomfortable when a six-year-old girl looked me in the eyes and greeted me with a Wai. The more time I spend here though, I realize that it is a sign of respect and appreciation for all people. I’m getting so used to it that the other day when I waved and yelled “hi!” at my friend Jeudi, I felt rude.


COSA

Last week, I spent a lot of time attempting to adjust to the return of homework and routine in my life. I didn’t sleep much but this week I am back on track and inspired by the unbelievable energy of the young girls at the Children’s Organization of Southeast Asia (COSA). On Saturday, some of my friends from my program and I visited COSA, an NGO dedicated to the prevention of child trafficking and sexual exploitation in Southeast Asia. We visited the Chiang Mai shelter where we met, conversed, played and gardened with about 13 girls. While sex exploitation is a traumatic and prevalent issue in Southeast Asia and Thailand, COSA does not focus on verbal therapy. Although COSA does offer mental health opportunities, their approach focuses on active methods, providing or assisting the girls with the opportunity to be their age, have fun, learn and become a part of a community. In my human services classes, we’ve spent a lot of time discussing trauma and the difficulty behind working with people who have experienced it. Despite the presence of this sensitive issue, their home was full of color, laughter and positive energy.



Thai and Southeast Asian Students with some of the girls from COSA!
This is New. After lunch, some of my friends and I joined New and a couple of the younger girls for a modified version of Duck, Duck Goose. We played Duck, Duck, CHICKEN!

There was really a beautiful energy to each of them

and they all gave us lots of hugs and pictures that they drew for us to take home.




No comments:

Post a Comment