Monday, August 22, 2011

I am here!

After so much anticipation, I am safe and sound in Thailand. And I am VERY VERY HAPPY to be here. It was a painfully long flight but I was very lucky to have a book, 2011 comedies to deliriously laugh at, a layover in Korea to do some stretching and Loretta, my new friend who is also a SUNY New Paltz student studying abroad through IPSL! When we finally arrived at Chiang Mai International Airport, we were pleasantly surprised by a group of Payap University students awaiting our arrival with a big sign reading “Welcome Payap Students!” Outside of the airport waited a “song tau” and a lovely taste of monsoon season in Chiang Mai, Thailand.


It’s only been a couple of days and already, I can passionately say, I am in love with Thailand. It is refreshing and incredibly stimulating to be in place where everywhere you turn waits a genuine smile and a lending hand. In Thailand, I have met some of the most patient, helpful and nicest people I have ever encountered! Many of them are Thai students at Payap University who have really made an incredible effort with the international students to share everything and anything they could about their culture, history and the customs of Northern Thailand.


During the next few months, I am living in the International Residence Hall on campus where I share a room with my friend Lookpla, a Thai student studying English at Payap! Before I came to Thailand, I was worried about the language barrier but living in an international dorm is helpful because many of the residents are Thai students who speak English pretty well. The language is complicated but it is so exciting to greet and thank people in a different language, which is all I know how to do so far (I am practicing!). I look forward to learning some more once classes officially start on Monday Aug. 29!


Below are a couple of pictures from the last few days:



This is a picture of a traditional Northern Thai meal called "Khantok" dinner which was provided after a very special ceremony for incoming students at Payap University. It was absolutely delicious. And some of it was spicy so I had to be super careful!

On Saturday the international students joined Pang, Petanque, Jayje, Kunthara, Mix and Prince (some of the Thai students at Payap) for a city tour of Chiang Mai. The city of Chiang Mai is not very close to campus but it takes a dollar to get there which isn't so bad! This is a picture of Chiang Mai's famous night market where there is a lot of delicious food, beautiful art, crafts and musicians- a fun experience on a Sunday night.

Here a few of the wonderful people that have made the experience in Thailand so far more than enjoyable! Pii Nung, Petanque, Jayje, Kunthara, Pang and I in front of the Three King Monument in the city of Chiang Mai on Sunday!

One day of orientation is over and the more I talk to the generous people of Chiang Mai, the more I add to my To Do List. There is a lot of exploring to do and although I am feeling a little overwhelmed, I am excited to gain a better understanding of Thailand’s rich culture, history, wisdom and geographical beauty.

From Wednesday to Sunday, I will be staying in a Mae Chaem, a Northern and rural Thai Village with my peers from the Thai and Southeast Asian Studies Program, professors and other students from Payap.

A little side note: My friends and family, I recently got a skype account and would love to coordinate some time to video chat. My skype name is pamela.vivanco2. Feel free to add me :)


2 comments:

  1. Just so ya know I'm here reading! Everything sounds wonderful, keep up the blogging. And HAVE FUN

    ReplyDelete